Sara Paretsky (born Ames, IA, USA, June 8, 1947) is a modern American author of detective fiction. The protagonist of all but two of Paretsky’s novels is V.I. Warshawski, a female private investigator. Warshawski’s eclectic personality defies easy categorization. She drinks Johnnie Walker Black Label, breaks into offices looking for clues, and can hold her own in a street fight. But she also pays attention to her clothes, sings opera along with the radio, and enjoys her sex life.
Paretsky is credited with transforming the role and image of women in the crime novel. She also is considered the founding mother of Sisters in Crime, an organization that supports and promotes women in the mystery field. Paretsky was named 2011 Grand Master by the Mystery Writers of America. She is the winner of many awards, including the Cartier Diamond Dagger Award for lifetime achievement from the British Crime Writers’ Association and the CWA Gold Dagger for her novel Blacklist.
Major Awards and Honors
Edgar (Allan Poe) Awards (Mystery Writers of America)
- 2011: Grand Master Award – Lifetime Achievement
Shamus Awards (PWA – Private Eye Writers of America)
- 2005: The Eye – Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2011: The Hammer Award (Best P.I. Series Character) – V.I. Warshawski
Anthony Awards (World Mystery Convention)
- 1986: Best Novel – “Killing Orders”
- 1989: Best Novel – “Blood Shot”
- 1992: Best Short Story Collection – “A Woman’s Eye”
(editor and contributor)
- 2011: Lifetime Achievement Award
Dagger Awards (CWA – Crime Writers’ Association, Great Britain)
- 1988: Silver Dagger – “Toxic Shock” (“Blood Shot”)
- 2002: Diamond Dagger – Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2004: Gold Dagger – “Blacklist”
The V.I. Warshawski Mysteries
- Indemnity Only (1982)
- Deadlock (1984)
- Killing Orders (1985)
- Bitter Medicine (1987)
- Blood Shot (1988)
A/K/A: Toxic Shock
- Burn Marks (1990)
- Guardian Angel (1992)
- Tunnel Vision (1994)
- Hard Time (1999)
- Total Recall (2001)
- Blacklist (2003)
- Fire Sale (2005)
- Hardball (2009)
- Body Work (2010)
- Breakdown (2012)
- Ghost Country (1998)
- Bleeding Kansas (2007)
Short Story Collections and Anthologies
- Eye of a Woman (1990)
– Editor and contributor; A/K/A: A Woman’s Eye.
- Crimes of Passion (1993)
- Windy City Blues (1995)
- A Taste of Life and Other Stories (1995)
- Women on the Case (1997)
– Editor; A/K/A: Woman’s Other Eye.
- Photo Finish (2000)
– E-book; stand-alone short story.
- V.I. x 2 (2002)
– E-book; includes short stories Photo Finish and Publicity Stunts.
- Sisters on the Case (2007)
- V.I. x 3 (2011)
– E-book; includes both stories from V.I. x 2 and A Family Sunday in the Park.
- Case Studies in Alternative Education (1975)
- Writing in an Age of Silence (2007)