24 Festive Tasks: Door 21 – Kwanzaa, Task 1:
“Africa” was originally the name of the Roman province originating from the North African empire of Carthage, which was mythologically founded by Queen Dido and blossomed into Ancient Rome’s only lasting opponent and nemesis (until it was finally conquered by Rome in the Punic Wars). So: who are your five favorite book heroes and their respective nemeses?
For this task, I think I’m going with some of the great classics that helped establish the hero / villain dichotomy … as well as its recently most successful reincarnation:
1. Sherlock Holmes vs. Dr. Moriarty (and in pastiches, vs. everybody from Jack the Ripper to Count Dracula … as well as … really just everything, including boredom, as BT just reminded us)
2. The Four Musketeers vs. Cardinal Richelieu and Milady
3. Edmond Dantès aka The Count of Monte Cristo vs. the conspirators Mondego, Villefort and Danglars
4. The Hobbits, Gandalf and The Fellowship of the Ring vs. The One Ring, Sauron and Saruman
5. Harry Potter and his friends vs. Lord Voldemort and the Deatheaters