Reblogged from: Moonlight Reader
MARCH 2020 UPDATE:
I know that I previously said that I wasn’t going to do any games aside from Halloween Bingo in 2020, but that was Pre-COVID-19. Here we all are, stuck in our houses and reading like mad./p> So, why wouldn’t we play a game?
I decided to just repurpose Snakes & Ladders for this one! It’s an easy, fun game and I don’t have to do any work at all to get it ready.
RULES OF THE GAME:
Everyone starts on 1. There are two alternative ways to move forward.
1. Read a book that fits the description on the space number as listed below and you can roll two dice to move forward more quickly.
2. However, if you can’t find a book to fit the square, don’t worry about it. You can read any book, and roll one dice on random.org. This is to ensure that if a reader cannot find a book to fill the square, no one gets bogged down and can’t move on.
All books must be at least 200 pages long. Short stories count, so long as you read enough of them from a collection to equal 200 pages.
You do not need to hit space 100 with an exact roll. In order to win, you must complete space 100 as written.
- Author is a woman
- Genre: mystery
- Set in the twentieth century
- Published in 2019
- Published in 2018
- Title has a color word in it
- Author’s last name begins with the letters A, B, C, or D.
- Author’s last name begins with the letters E, F, G, or H.
- Author’s last name begins with the letters H, I, J, or K
- Author’s last name begins with the letters L, M, N or O
- Author’s last name begins with the letters P, Q, R, or S
- Author’s last name begins with the letters T, U, V, W, X, Y, or Z
- Author is a man
- Author is dead
- Genre: romance
- Genre: fantasy
- Genre: horror
- Set in a school
- Set in the UK
- Set in a country that is not your country of residence
- Set in Europe
- Set in Asia
- Set in Australia/Oceania
- Set in Africa
- Snake – go back to 5
- Part of a series that is more than 5 books long
- Set during WWI or WWII
- Written between 1900 and 1999
- Someone travels by plane
- Someone travels by train
- Road trip
- Genre: thriller
- Set in North America
- Snake – go back to 1
- Has been adapted as a movie
- Set in Central or South America
- Has won an award
- Newest release by a favorite author
- A reread
- Characters involved in the entertainment industry
- Characters involved in politics
- Characters involved in sports/sports industry
- Characters involved in the law
Characters involved in medicine
- Characters involved in cooking/baking
Characters involved in science/technology
- A book that has been on your tbr for more than one year
- A book that has been on your tbr for more than two years
- Snake – go back to 19
- A book you acquired in February, 2019.
- Recommended by a friend
- Has a domestic animal on the cover
- Has a wild animal on the cover
- Has a tree or flower on the cover
- Has something that can be used as a weapon on the cover
- Is more than 400 pages long
- Is more than 500 pages long
- Was published more than 100 years ago
- Was published more than 50 years ago
- Was published more than 25 years ago
- Was published more than 10 years ago
- Was published last year
- Cover is more than 50% red
- Cover is more than 50% green
- Cover is more than 50% blue
- Cover is more than 50% yellow
- Snake – go back to 52
- Part of a series that is more than 10 books long
- Set in a city with a population of greater than 5 million people (link)
- Something related to weddings on the cover
- Something related to travel on the cover
- Something related to fall/autumn on the cover
- Involves the beach/ocean/lake
- Involves the mountains/forests
- Categorized as YA
- Categorized as Middle Grade
- Set in a fantasy world
- Set in a world with magic
- Has a “food” word in the title
- Set in a small town (fictional or real)
- Main character is a woman
- 80. Main character is a man
- Ghost story
- Genre: urban fantasy
- Genre: cozy mystery
- Genre: police procedural
- Written by an author who has published more than 10 books
- Author’s debut book
- Snake – go back to 57
- Comic/graphic novel
- Published between 2000 and 2017
- A new-to-you author
- Snake – go back to 61
- Reread of a childhood favorite
- Author’s first/last initial same as yours (real or BL handle)
- From your favorite genre
- Title starts with any of the letters in SNAKE
- Title starts with any of the letters in LADDERS
- Snake – go back to 69
- Let BL pick it for you: post 4 choices and read the one that gets the most votes!
ADDITIONS TO THE RULES
See comments to the post for further explanations or to ask questions
When you start on square 1, you need to read a book before you can roll. If your book fills the square, you get to roll two dice. If your book doesn’t not fit the square, roll one dice only.
With respect to the ladder squares: You must read a book in order to climb the ladder. Once you finish the book for the ladder square, climb the ladder to the ending square. If you read a book that fits the ending square, roll two dice to move on, otherwise, roll one dice.
For audiobook substitutions, either check the print book to determine if it is more than 200 pages long, or any audiobook that is a minimum of 5 hours & 30 minutes qualifies.